10 tips to explain the Affordable Care Act (ACA) to Your Workers
Yesterday I received my daily email alert from HR and Payroll Answerforce™, a cool feature of our customer portal at customer.kronos.com. One of the headlines was, “IFEBP issues guide for educating employees about ACA — PRACTICE TIP.” Clicking on it told me about the non-profit International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans (IFEBP), and it’s cool how-to guide. These daily email HR and Payroll Answerforce™ digests are great, and I’m not even an HR or payroll professional! Anyway, here are the IFEBP 10 tips for communicating with your workers on the ACA:
- Explain ACA simply and concisely. The law and its regulatory guidance are far-reaching, complicated and lengthy. Stick to the basics when communicating with your participants.
- Focus on the most immediate changes. Cover what is happening during open enrollment and what changes are coming in 2014.
- Focus on the areas that most impact your workers.
- Clarify that your workers do NOT need to purchase health insurance through the public exchanges. (Most employers are maintaining their coverage. If you are dropping coverage for some or all of your employees, be explicit in the steps they need to take.)
- State the value of your health coverage in dollars per person. You may also include total cost spent by the organization or cost per payroll, but a worker will better appreciate and understand the value when positioned per individual rather than the organization’s perspective.
- Remind workers of the health care providers available through your plan.
- Inform workers of any existing or changing cost-sharing provisions. Clarify provisions such as deductibles, copayments, premiums, etc.
- Explain design changes to your plan due to ACA. Cover changes that may impact your workers including preventive services coverage and elimination of out-of-pocket maximums.
- Emphasize your company’s commitment to providing health care in the future.
- State why you offer benefits in the first place. Whether it is to attract the best talent, be competitive or to take care of workers, explain to your workers what you offer and why you offer it.
“Explaining the Affordable Care Act (ACA) to Your Workers: A How-To Guide,” and many other great tools from the International Foundation of Employee Benefit Plans are available now, plus check out the great ACA resources from Kronos, including our free ACA estimator and our “Full-Time/Part-Time Analysis Report” for Workforce Central!
Oh, and thanks to HR and Payroll Answerforce™ for sending me the great tip!